Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Wars by Timothy Findley (5)

I'm about halfway through the book, and it really is just a story about a regular, but unfortunate guy during World War One. For example, at the point I am at in the book, there is a lot of information about the protagonist. It is basically just a description about what is going on in Roberts life, however it doesn't ever really go into detail on his thoughts. I find this a little strange because normally the author wants the reader to know what the protagonist is thinking. Anyhow, some of it is from the perspective of a person listening to a tape of a conversation, but it is easy to forget that because it is written somewhat awkwardly.

It is not very surprising, to me at least, that while it isn't a terrible book I don't have a lot to say about it. It feels like not much is actually going on, even though vast changes occur in the protagonist's life. That's all I really have to say at the moment, so long for now.

4 comments:

  1. I must say, your input on the book gave me a good laugh. "A regular, but unfortunate guy during World War One." Might I mention that anyone in that time period was rather unfortunate as a huge World War was occurring. Maybe just change it to a "regular" guy. :P Anyways, you're right, the book isn't the most exciting and action packed book, but it does pull my interest from time to time. I also agree with your thoughts on how Timothy Findley wrote the book. Although, the book comes from a third person, almost omniscient point of view, I find we get more details on how everyone, but the protagonist feels. Maybe, Timothy Findley left that open for discussion, giving the readers space to use empathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I do agree, that the book seems to have an ability to engage, even without using showy scenes. The changing perspective also is interesting; maybe Findley used the change in perspective to advance the plot.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of the fact that most of the students in class are "regular" people and the protagonist only a few years older. Imagine being that young and going off to war and experiencing the things that you experience in a war. You are not far from being like a Robert in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is strange to imagine a situation in which I would think it was a good idea to war. However, similar to the book, many people did go to war at that age, and younger. I guess that there are situations when someone might not necessarily like the idea of going to war, so much as then wanting to escape something else.

    ReplyDelete