Thursday, September 27, 2012


PHYSICAL VS. SEDENTARY 








I find this an interesting idea, is it possible for people to have a specific preference for what type of activities they like?
Further more, how would you define the differences between them?   When does something go from being physical to being sedentary?    I would imagine that a certain amount of energy must be exerted for an activity to be physical, however what about if you are on an exercise bike?  You not outside or going anywhere, but you are still doing something physical.

Something else that I wonder about is whether or not being sedentary is really a life choice, a personality or if it is a habit.   What do I mean by this?     
The human body is naturally the body of an athlete, we are made to be supreme long distance runners.  While running the brain release 'feel-good' drugs so as to encourage people to keep running,  we have giant running muscles and the Achilles tendon is great at helping provide lift when running. These are just a few examples of why people can and should all be great runners if not athletes.  
And this is not to mention that while certain sedentary activities are fun,  it is often more fun to do something physical, such as playing a sport. 



So what do I see myself as?
I'm not sure, because there are many different activities that I like to do that fall into either categories.   At the moment however, I feel more physical then sedentary.   That doesn't mean that I am not sedentary at all, rather, I would prefer going out and playing a sport with friends then sitting in front of the computer all day.     Not that there aren't any advantages to being sedentary.  You can't learn interesting facts about things if you are constantly outside. Therefore in the end, I guess I am a mixture of sedentary and physical.  

2 comments:

  1. oh yes, you can't be either sedentary of physical 100% of the time. However, there's no harm in saying you're more one than the other. If you feel more of a preference for the physical, that is a healthy sign and will probably benefit you in the end. love the cute little images...esp the little couch potato eating popcorn! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose that's true.
      Sorry for not responding sooner, for some reason I couldn't write a response.

      Delete